Is a new approach to Org Development needed?
- When a culture development initiative is launched in your organization, do your managers sigh and silently wonder, “What’s new about this one?”. They go along with it positively, but if they are totally honest, they participated in the hope it would be different.
- Do your managers leave a team-building event saying “Wow, that was great” … and six months later think, “Oh dear, nothing has changed”.
Most conventional personal development programs are failing because they are based on an outdated paradigm.
The Conventional Way
Traditionally we write a job description and advertised to find someone with the talent to carry out all the tasks listed. In reality we find people who are good for about 75% and all we can do is hope they will learn the skills needed to take care of the remaining 25%. Immediately we are creating the situation where they have to work on their weaknesses. What they do not do well is what gets attention, because it is what causes the most pain for everyone in the organisation.
The New Way
The StrengthsFinder® movement is the best framework available for starting the process of developing a new paradigm. StrengthsFinder® has been developed over 40 years. It is based on an on line assessment which in the first instance produces a report that outlines a participants strengths. Gallup, the global engagement survey company, back up the StrengthsFinder® assessment with over 500 million survey responses.
See more by reading our StrengthsFinder® Insights Guide.
The StrengthsFinder® Movement
Gallup define a strength as a collection of talents that when developed consistently result in near perfect performance. 34 Strengths form the bases of the assessment. Initially we recommend participants only consider their Top 5 Strengths.
Once completed the Top 5 Strengths become a powerful framework for conversations that help participants understand their strengths, how to apply their strengths in driving performance and how to manage their weaknesses.
Strengths Focused Cultures are based on Great Collaboration
When a diverse group of people are doing what they find easy, someone else is doing what they find hard. Greater collaboration is the result.
The conventional approach to personal development reduces the need for collaboration. As our society become even more complex it is becoming harder for managers to identify the important information for sound decision-making.
The next step is to Take our Free Strengths Focus Assessment. Find out How Strengths Focused your organisation is in our 3 Minute Assessment.