Strengths Insight 8: Learner
Welcome to Part 8 of the Strengths Insight Series. Each week we look at a different Strength Theme from the Gallup StrengthsFinder® framework. Reading these posts will give you an insight into those you work with and live with.
If you have Learner as one of your dominant strengths you will love to learn. What you like to learn will be determined by your other strengths. Whatever the subject, you will be drawn to the process of learning as much as the result. Making progress from ignorance to competence energizes you. To you it is about discovery, exploring new territory.
You probably thrive in short project environments where you are required to learn fast. You may not see yourself as a subject matter expert. The process of learning is more important to you than acquiring a mass of knowledge.
In the framework, “The evolution of an idea”, Learner is not specific to a particular role. Like all the strength themes it can be helpful or a hinderance.
- For the Host, Learner may manifest as an insatiable desire to understand people, or it can lead to gossip and time wasting.
- For the Producer Learner may cause distractions. The producers role is ‘moving boxes’ which is highly goal pocused. If a desire to learn is directed to improving systems he or she will be an effective team member. If it is applied to acquire interesting but extraneous information, it will detract from their effectiveness.
Tips for Maximising your Learner Strength.
- Seek roles that require you to learn fast.
- Over time shift your career to a rapidly changing field.
- Refine how you learn. Become aware of your learning style.
- Understand why you are learning. Learning may be an entertainment or about improving your contribution.
- Step into your strength by being a catalyst for change
Managing people who have Learner in their Top 5 Strengths.
- Position them in roles that require them to learn fast.
- Encourage them to learn even if it means research for a future strategy.
- Help them understand why they are learning. Help them make learning rewarding by being relevant to what is important to them.
- Encourage them to teach the subjects they are attracted to. Remember teaching is a vital step in fully integrating a new idea.
How many New Zealand Men and Women have Learner in their Top 5?
Contact Us to take the StrengthsFinder® assessment with your team.